Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Dating, Marriage and Being a Survivor of Sexual Violence (incest, childhood sexual abuse, sexual assault as an adult)

Below are many issues no one wants to talk about when it comes to surviving sexual violence. I thought this might be a good place to do so.

1. You're an incest survivor and your dating, when do you tell the man or woman you are dating that you are a survivor? Do you ever have to tell?

2. You were sexually violated by either a family member or someone not Jewish. Can you marry a Kohen?

3. You are married or having a relationship with someone, and are being sexually active with them. You start to have flashbacks. What do you do?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prior to becoming sexually active with someone again, it would probably be wisest to inform them of the possibility of a flashback. By their reactions, you'd be able to tell whether they were worth becoming intimately involved with.

January 11, 2005 9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when I was dating I asked a rabbi if I could marry a kohen if I was d by my father. He said that If I was older than three, If I said it happened then I couldn't marry a kohen but if I said it never happened then I could. Someone told me that this might actually be the hallacha. Does anyone know anything about this?

January 12, 2005 6:45 AM  
Blogger Mara said...

Anonymous, why don't you contact Vicky at the Awareness Center, she could refer you to a sensitive rabbi to ask this question.

January 12, 2005 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home