Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Life Changing Events

As we know if there is some sort of life changing event happening, it would be perfectly normal for you to reevaluate your life.

Survivors of Childhood Abuse and Neglect will end up revisit their abuse histories during these times. The question is how can you do this in a way that's healthy and healing?

Some example of events can include getting engaged, getting married, birth of a child, serious illness or accident, death of someone close to you, etc.


With life changing events you may be asking yourself some of the following questions:
  1. If you are getting married, can you invite your family to the wedding?
  2. If you are about to have children, will you feel safe having your parents around if one of them was your offender?
  3. If you had a serious accident or have a serious illness, would you tell your family members? Would you feel safe with them making decisions for you if you are unable to?
  4. A relative you care a great deal for passes away. Going to the funeral will mean that your offender will also be there. Would you emotionally be able to attend?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my son reached the age I was when I was abused by mother I had a great deal of difficulties. I was afraid my wife would do the same think to him, as my mother did to me. I was forced into therapy at that time, and was finally able to tell someone what happened to me

February 24, 2005 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting so many of us don't really get the right treatment until we've had children of our own.

The burden of having carried 'the secret' for so many years is such a terrible burden, and has such a terrible cost.

February 26, 2005 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home