Friday, September 02, 2005

Having PTSD and Coping with Hurricane Katrina

Being a survivor of childhood abuse, or any sort of trauma can be difficult at times. Those of us in the US may be having to deal with symptoms of secondary PTSD (which is basically the same thing as being there), while watching the news about what's happening in New Orleans.

I figured that it would be important for everyone to have a place to discuss what they are thinking and feeling.

A friend wrote me:
I know we shouldn't be shocked, but there have been many reports of sexual assaults down there. Also with the added increase of stress in families, what is anyone doing to prevent domestic violence, and child abuse? How many children are getting abducted during the insanity down there? How many sexual predators are lurking on the streets down there?

I know there's enough problems, but these are things that also concern me.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have cable, so I only see what's on the general stations. Yesterday I found myself glued to the TV. I have to admit that secondary PTSD was an issue for me. I work from home, and often have the TV on for background noise.

I realized in the late afternoon when I went out to get gas, that I was experiencing a form of secondary PTSD.

I found myself being surprised that the sun was shinning, and everyone was doing what they do normally. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, yet I figured, I would put it out there.

September 02, 2005 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to be down there. I only know what it's like to watch it on the news.

When I was a teen I ran away from home. I lived on the streets. I had nothing. Watching the news I can help but remember those days. I had to be tough, but deep down I was terrifide. My heart goes out to everyone down there.

September 02, 2005 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blogger has an excellent essay on refugees and trauma:

http://www.livejournal.com/community/poor_planning/6734.html?style=mine

September 03, 2005 2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm overwhelmed hearing about what's happening. It sickens me knowing how dangerous it is down there. B'H' we are all paying attention. Maybe that will help the goons from continuing.

September 04, 2005 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also feel guilty that I have a home, with food and water, and live in a safe neighborhood. My only enemy is my mind. I get attacked with flashbacks all the time.

I heard that it was two police officers that committed suicide. I wonder how many of them lost loved ones, while they were out patroling the streets?

I can't even begin to imagine the horors they are all experiencing. If the disaster workers can't handle it, can you imagine what those who live there are dealing with?

September 04, 2005 11:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is all so scary. What if there's a terrorist attack now. What will we all do?

September 04, 2005 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home